Saturday, September 24, 2011

All I Wanted To Say About It

Song written after a good friend in Syria, a citizen there, refused to speak to me again because I kindly suggested that at least in the US you can protest without fear of violent repression. Well, honey, take this:

All I Really Wanted to Say About It

Wind whipped the wire while photographer got ready to shoot
Waiting for a sign when the desert spit the dust on his boot
He’ll soon be wiping blood off his heel, so I guess the point is moot
Hail the Day of Denial, Big Daddy’s got a new shiny suit.

Slogans of devotion in the mouths of everyone you meet
Flags are a-flying and the banners unfurled across the street
But the dragon’s blowing fire, so get out if you can’t stand the heat
Servants shuffle knives while the master shuffles his feet

Dear lady in a haze, confusing what is real and what is not
The guilty only find the words to speak when they fear getting caught
Will the sons and the daughters freely speak without fear of being shot?
I’m just tossing seeds to the weeds in an old vacant lot

Water in the cistern gleaming cold like a diamond pool
Water for the women of the wheat and the riders of the mule
But the rusted pipe’s corrupt and the king’s nobody’s fool
Flowers for the iron tower, the valley’s dry as a jewel

Packing up my bags, western sky’s calling my name
I thought I might apologize, but it wouldn’t be the same
Contrived explanations, empty wind when the dead are to blame
Here’s a shot of me in New York City, I’m the one just outside the frame.
Here’s a shot of me in New York City, I’m the one just outside the frame.



Written 5:30, April 23, 2011

No comments: